Over the past four years since I completed my undergrad I have experienced very high, highs and some pretty low, lows but a constant question that I have put on myself is finding my “WHY”…

Every since I was an elementary aged kid playing any sport at lunch there was a teacher named Mr. Philips, he would come out every lunch hour and throw the football for us playing quarterback. I remember how cool I thought that was, that he came out and played with us. In high school there was Mr. Graham my lifetime mentor and Mr. Heer just an overall cool dude. It took me a long time to have this true realization.. that “Aha” moment. Throughout my schooling and athletic careers I have met so many just cool people and people to admire, look up to. Maybe your reading this thinking “common man your on your second bachelors degree thinking these people are just ‘cool’”. But that is the best way to describe them and that is a huge part of my ‘WHY’. These mentors are so cool in every way, they get how to communicate with all ages of people, they tell stories from their real life’s that help others learn, and they are willing to drop everything to selflessly help any individual. Education provides a platform to be able to have a positive impact on so many lives and that is my ultimate ‘WHY’. I want to give the opportunities that I have had to others and I want to be that cool person young people can look to for advice or anything. I do so much for others close to me family, friends and whether people in this program see that or not does not matter to me. I will never go out of my way to put that out there or throw it in someone’s face; what I have done for FREE in my life. I do not need to be preached to about 16-20 hour work days or why this makes you a harder worker than me. Like I once had a coach say to me “It’s a show me world” SO… show me. Do not talk about it.. show me.

At some point when I was trekking, alone, under some power lines in the Northern California wilderness I realized that if I slipped and died out there nobody would know about me.. let alone care. So when I lost my job that was the hugest sign from the cosmos that could have ever happened. It was time for me to move back home and put all my eggs in the basket of getting into this B.ed program. I am here, I am living my ‘WHY’. Year one is drawing to a wild close but I am so ready to attack year two, get this degree, certification, whatever exactly we’re calling it. Move into the realm of education and be that cool person for many young students as they grow and try to find their ‘WHY’.